Bristol Glazing A-Rated Windows
Bristol Glazing choose Window Profiles
Bristol Glazing Bespoke Conservatories
Bristol Glazing Makes life easy attach a photo and provide measurements
Home Conservatories Structural Design Advice

Structural Design Advice

PDF Print E-mail

A short guide to planning permission.

Planning Permission

In England and Wales planning permission is not usually required, provided the permitted development limit of the property is not exceeded (which is 50-70 cubic metres, depending on the property).
Notable exceptions to the above are listed buildings and conservation areas.

Please note that if the property has been extended in the past, the “permitted development “ area could have been used up and you may need permission.
It is also worth noting that occasionally “permitted development” rights may have been withdrawn from a property and any extension however small will need planning permission. If in any doubt please check.


Building Regulations


In general conservatories on residential properties are exempt and do not require consent but they must meet the following Exemption Criteria – under the Building Regulations 1991 (as amended): -

  1. Must have at least three quarters of the area of the roof formed of glazing, polycarbonate sheets or similar translucent material.
  2. The conservatory walls are substantially glazed. Must have at least half the area of the walls formed of windows.
  3. Must be less than 30 square metres in floor area (measured internally).
  4. Must be single storey situated at ground level.
  5. Must be separated from the original property by means of a combination of window(s), door(s) or wall(s), so the conservatory can be closed off from the original property when not in use.
  6. Any radiator within the conservatory must be controllable. If fixed heating is proposed then they should have their own separate temperature and on/off controls.
  7. The glazing must satisfy the requirements of part N, schedule 1 (toughened/safety glass)
  8. The conservatory must not contain any drainage facilities (i.e. sink, WC or washing machine)

If in doubt contact your local council







Designed by DouglasDataSystems 2011